Some Favorite Words
- editrix – The female editor – because it sounds vaguely like dominatrix.
- chops – Asher borrowed this word from Jazz to refer to my nightly chops (flash fic writing). It’s also a great horror word. He sometimes call them his nightly chomps, which is a nice toothy word and sound.
- mayhem – Ever since Fight Club… mayhem is orchestrated chaos… a comprehensive form of pranking, and so it’s a perfect concept for creating horror.
- epistemology – what is a particular person’s understanding of how we acquire truth? This helps understand people and is a great question to let a character elaborate on.
- cosmology – what does a person think the world is, really – fundamentally – at it’s core?’ This is a great question to let a character to elaborate on.
- ethos – what is the world of acceptable behavior for a person – what, if any consistency do they act upon – each person is continually demonstrating what principles they accept for right and wrong (regardless of what things are claimed right or wrong as philosophical designations). Characters do the same.
- metacognition – thinking about thinking, analyzing the means of analysis allows one to identify and exceed biases and assumptions, while also making a study of cognitive processes. Authorship is metacognition.
- heuristics – solving problems is a thinker and writer’s primary work in trade – systems of solving problems are like machinery for the mind – stock in trade for creators and thinkers
- cognitive bias – identifying cognitive biases not only aids in metacognition but in understanding other people’s reactions to stimuli and in characterization
- naked (naked lunch, naked truth, “we’re all naked”) – the concept of nakedness is fascinating, because we spend so much time clothing (obfuscating) nearly every aspect of our individual existences (and yet we like looking at characters in all their naked glory)
- f*ck (except in reference to making love) – the word is partially redacted here to avoid a Google penalty, but I think it’s one of the most flexible words in our vocabularies. It might even outpace the verb “to be”.
Sounds Asher Likes
- rrr-words: awrrsome, roar, more, stellar, water, rigour
- words ending with s: yes, confess
Phrases Asher Likes
- Tell me.
- Read to me.
- I don’t know. / I dunno.
- Tell me more.
- Let me ask you a question…
- You know…
- Tell me anything.
- Kiss me.
- Can I ask you something? / Can I tell you something?
- What else?
Fun Words to Play With: cognitive, prolific, extensive, expansive, predatory, diabolical, heresy, pathos, uncanny, autodidactism (self-education), logophilia, algorhythm, cognate, colophon, chromogeneticist, portmanteau, morpheme, anagram, acronym